Marriage / Civil Union Licenses

Getting married/united in McLean County?

Is your ceremony taking place in McLean County?  Enter the address of the venue on the county search site to determine where to get your marriage/civil union license.  

Please note: Marriage and Civil Union License fees will increase to $65 effective September 1.

In order to limit the number of customers in our office due to COVID-19, we are handling marriage license appointments at a window inside the Government Center on the main floor. Call to schedule a Tuesday or Thursday appointment at least a week or two ahead of time, as appointment slots fill up fast.  Both parties must be present to show ID and sign paperwork at the appointment.  Bring a check or money order in the exact amount ($38) made out to McLean County Clerk (Note: this license fee does not include any certified copies).  We encourage you to wear a mask if you are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to  observe social distancing in the building for everyone's health and safety.  

This policy may be updated at any time, so continue to check our websites for any new information. As we are operating with limited staff, we ask that you look for answers on our website or Facebook.

Regarding Ceremonies at the Courthouse:  

Call the Judges’ Chambers at (309) 888-5290 to schedule an appointment for a marriage or civil union ceremony.  Circuit Court website for Marriages/Civil Unions

Instructions for obtaining a marriage or civil union license for ceremonies to be celebrated in McLean County.

Information relating to Officiants

View the Marriage Brochure (PDF) - what you need to know for your marriage/civil union license appointment.

Información en español (PDF) - todo lo que necesita saber para obtener su licencia de matrimonio/unión civil.

View announcements of marriage/civil union licenses obtained in McLean County during the last 60 days.

After the marriage/civil union

Get a certified copy of a license for a marriage/civil union that occurred in McLean County. Certified copies are required to legally change your name with the DMV and Social Security due to a marriage or civil union, for insurance, and other reasons.