Birth Certificate Information
If you have an urgent need for a vital record, please visit the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding any vital record.
- If the certificate has been on file for 75 years or longer, anyone with a genealogical interest may have a noncertified copy of the certificate, stamped “for genealogical purposes only.”
- If you were not born in McLean County, please contact either the county of your birth, or contact the State Department of Vital Records at 217-782-6553.
- The earliest birth records available in McLean County are from 1860.
- Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to birth, death, or marriage certificates. The McLean County Clerk's Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. Vital records are not considered public information, neither are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.