County Board Rules Apperance by Non-Members of Board
5.14-7 Appearance by Non-Members- With the acknowledgement that the most appropriate forum for the general public to address County Board members is the Committee charged with overseeing the subject matter of the address, those wishing to address the Board shall adhere to the following:
(A) Subject to provisions of 5.14-7(C), any member may request that a County Officer or employee, or other persons, be permitted to appear before the County Board on matters directly related to a topic on the agenda for a County Board meeting and such request shall be granted by the Chairperson unless there is objection by any member, in which event Board action, by general vote as provided in Section 5.14-1.2, will be required to overrule the Chairperson The provisions of Subsection (B) shall not apply to requests made by members pursuant to this Subsection (A).
(B) The County Board shall permit non-members to appear before and address members of the County Board during County Board meetings in accordance with the following Rules:
(1) There shall be a total maximum of fifteen (15) minutes allotted during each County Board meeting for appearances by all non-members. Any member may request an extension of this time limit by making a request to allow the nonmember to continue l pursuant to subsection A.
(2) All requests by non-members for appearance before the Board shall be made prior to the meeting at which the non-member wishes to appear within the time periods set forth in sub-section (B)(3). Such requests shall be submitted to the County Administrator, in writing or by email identifying the subject matter or agenda item to be addressed:
(3) Requests to appear that are directly related to an item on an agenda for a County Board meeting shall be submitted not less than twenty four (24) hours prior to the published start time of the Board meeting at which the non-member wishes to appear. Requests to appear that are not directly related to an item on an agenda for the County Board meeting shall be submitted not less than one hundred and twenty (120) hours prior to the published start time of the Board meeting at which the non-member wishes to appear.
(4) Appearances by non-members with regard to any particular topic, including any topic on the agenda, shall be limited to a time not to exceed three minutes for each individual or five minutes for a representative spokesperson of a group. Any member may request an extension of this time limit by making a request to allow the nonmember to continue pursuant to subsection A.
(5) Non-members who have properly submitted requests to appear shall appear in the order of the receipt of their requests.
(6)County Board members may not engage in discussion with, address or ask questions of non-members during the time allowed for non-member appearances under section (B).
(C) The Chairperson may act to prevent repetition or digression, to maintain decorum and to exclude discussion of matters which have had a previous public hearing conducted according to law, discussion of matters where public comment would interfere with the due process of law or discussion of matters which would be in direct conflict with restrictions placed upon the Board by other applicable law.
5.16 COMMITTEES – GENERAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL COMMITTEES.
(I)the Committees shall allow non-members to appear before the Committees in accordance with County Board Rule 5.14-7 Appearance by Non-Members except that the time allowed for appearances shall be five (5) minutes for each individual or representative spokesperson of a group and the maximum total time allotted for appearances shall be thirty (30) minutes.