Permits - Entrance (Access) & Work

Ordinance Imposing Fees for Disturbances to County Highways

The McLean County Board approved the Ordinance Imposing Fees for Disturbances to County Highways on June 20, 2017 and is effective July 01, 2017.

The permit fee schedule is listed.

Please see the full Ordinance for additional County Highway Permit information (PDF).

Permit Fee Schedule

Section 300-26 (A) - Utility Permits

1. Emergency Permit Applications No Fee
2. Minor Maintenance No Fee
3. Major Maintenance $150.00
4. Agricultural Field Tile $100.00
5. Modification or New Construction $950.00
6. Permit Renewal or Extension $100.00

Section 300-26 (B) - Access Permits

1. Agricultural Access No Fee
2. Temporary Access $450.00
3. Minimum Use Access $100.00
4. Minor Access $1,000.00
5. Major Access
See Ordinance for additional info
$4,500.00 (minimum)
6. Permit Renewal or Extension $100.00

Entrance (Access) Permits

Those looking to gain a new, relocate, and/or widen an entrance (access) to a private, commercial, and/or field, will need to complete a McLean County Highway Department ENTRANCE PERMIT (PDF).

You may either submit your Entrance Permit to Luke Hohulin by email or it may be delivered either in person or by mail to: McLean County Highway Department, 102 S Towanda Barnes Rd, Bloomington, IL 61705.

Payment is due within 15 days of approved permit.  Please make checks payable to: McLean County Highway Fund

Please remit payment to:
McLean County Highway Department
102 S Towanda Barnes Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705

Work Permits

Effective October 16, 2023, McLean County will only be accepting Work and / or Utility Permits through OXCART PERMIT SYSTEMS.  Thier website is 

1.  Please create an account as a vendor or permittee

2.  We are listed as McLean County of under the "Municipality"

3.  The base fee for any Work / Utility Permit is $150.00.  

4.  Once the application is completed & submitted, it will automatically be sent to Luke Hohulin for review and fee adjustments depending on the work being done.  He will then approve (with the fee adjustment) and/or deny the application.

5.  Be sure to review your permit.  If there was a fee adjustment, there will be a blue "Payment Due" under the "Payment" Column.  You must click on this to pay for your permit.  Payment must be made in order to unlock permit.

6. When the application is approved and the complete payment is made, you will have a valid permit, via email, for your job.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Luke via email at [email protected] or by phone (309) 663-9445.