Recognizing Community Involvement
Much of our success is the result of community involvement and we welcome new volunteers. Most of our volunteers come from the local universities.
Available Activities & Programs
Volunteers are involved in a variety of areas within the facility, and may be involved in the following programs:
- Classroom activities - Tutoring, assisting in the computer lab or classroom as scheduled by the instructors / detention officers
- Recreation activities - Playing basketball, volleyball, Wiffle ball, etc., during structured physical education time or during free gym time
- Passive activities - Playing card games, board games, Foosball, etc., during free time
- Volunteer visiting - Spending half an hour with a youth who does not ordinarily receive visitors
- Other groups / types of activities - Volunteers may assist in the planning and presentation of any program with prior permission (i.e., religious groups, life skills, etc.).
Volunteering & Orientation
Anyone interested in volunteering should contact the Program Coordinator Mandy Owens at (309) 888-5550 to register for a volunteer orientation.
Note: The orientation consists of a tour of the facility, further descriptions of volunteer opportunities available, and completing necessary paperwork. All volunteers must pass a background check.