Military and Overseas Voters

Military and Overseas Voters

Illinois citizens, who live overseas or are serving in the U.S. armed forces and will not be in their home county on Election Day, may register and vote by using one of the methods outlined below. Please be advised that for military personnel, Illinois law allows you to register to vote and to apply for a Vote by Mail ballot at the same time.

Illinois Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment (MOVE)

The MOVE site will enable you to set up a MOVE account to register to vote and request a Vote by Mail ballot for upcoming Federal Elections. This site was designed to help ease the burden of members of the Uniformed Services (and their eligible dependents) and overseas voters in requesting a voter registration and a Vote by Mail ballot application. This site will give you the ability to keep in contact with our office and track the status of your application and ballot.

Federal Voting Assistance Program

The Federal Postcard Application is a form provided by the Department of Defense to permit members of the U.S. armed forces, their dependents, and U.S. citizens abroad to Vote by Mail and if necessary, to register to vote. This Postcard Application may be submitted by:

  • Mail:
    McLean County Clerk
    PO Box 1328
    Bloomington, IL 61702
  • Fax: (309) 888-5932
  • E-mail: [email protected]

Please visit for more information and to obtain the application.

Military and Overseas Voter Guidelines

The Military and Overseas Voter Guidelines Manual has been developed to help Military personnel and all Illinois residents living overseas. This manual outlines each step that needs to be taken to ensure your Vote by Mail ballot is filled out correctly and that your vote will be counted. It will walk you through the process of completing a FVAP application, help you locate your local election authority, and provides a list of frequently asked questions. Access this Guidelines Manual: Military and Overseas Voter Guidelines.

Special State Write-In Ballot

If you feel the time is getting short and you have not yet received your full state ballot, please print the Special State Write-In Ballot; complete the ballot and mail it back to your local election official.